Portion/Yield:Serves about 12 people
I have eaten and made lots of coleslaw in my life. A word of warning it’s not what you expect a traditional coleslaw to be, made with mayonnaise, it’s has a oil based dressing instead. I love this recipe for many reasons. One because it’s inexpensive, two you get literally a bucket load, three it’s healthy and classed as a super food and four it’s just simply brilliant!
I make this recipe if I need to feed a lot of people. This dish goes with a lot of eating occasions such as a BBQ, hot or cold buffet or even a lovely roast. I made this slaw on Sunday to accompany quarter roast chickens delicious.
Ingredients & Method
For the slaw
- 80g shredded curly kale
- 1/4 shredded Chinese cabbage
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced or shredded
- 1/4 white cabbage, finely sliced or shredded
- 100g beansprouts
- 50g fresh sprouting mung beans, plus extra to garnish
- 40g toasted peanuts, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
Lime and Soy Vinaigrette
- Juice of zest of one lime
- 50ml sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Prepare the slaw. In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients for the slaw together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a small jar, shake vigorously and season to taste, pour all the dressing over the slaw and mix.
Cover and chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve.