July 20th, 2009

Blackcurrant_Cordial1

Home Made Blackcurrant Cordial

For some strange reason I can’t drink neat water so I always need to flavour the water with something slightly sweet and tasty. After another trip to the local PYO I came back with a bucket of blackcurrants. I tried eating them straight from the bush but I wish I hadn’t as they were quite strong and bitter. Now I know why the birds rather go for the raspberries, I would too!

I always wanted to try and recreate the flavour of good old Ribena and thought that this was my chance. After de-stalking, cleaning and boiling the fruit I nearly ended up with a jelly. Blackcurrants are packed with natural pectin and therefore set naturally and for that reason blackcurrants are a good choice of fruit for jam making.

The colour of this home made cordial is magnificent, almost electric mauve but be careful as any splashes will stain.

It is ideal for the annual village fete, fill small bottles and hand them out with tiny straws. It makes a pretty picture and make little people very happy.

I like my blackcurrant drink diluted with carbonated water, however if you prefer use ice cold lemonade.

Blaccurrant_cordial4Blackcurrant_cordial3

• 450g blackcurrants
  • 250g caster sugar
  • 260ml water
  • Whole lemon

De-stalk and wash the blackcurrants.

Place the blackcurrants, sugar and water into a medium saucepan. Melt the sugar over low heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.

Once the sugar has dissolved bring the syrup to a gentle simmer.

Simmer the fruits for 5 minutes, add the juice and skin of the lemon.

Bring the syrup back to simmer for further 5 minutes.

Let the cordial cool for 10 minutes and sterilise  glass bottle.

Pass the cordial through a fine sieve, pour the cordial into the sterilised bottle, cool and keep refrigerated until needed.

To serve, dilute the chilled cordial to taste with chilled sparkling water and plenty of ice cubes.

Makes 750ml cordial

Print Recipe Print Recipe with Photo

37 Comments to “Home Made Blackcurrant Cordial”

Pages: « 4 3 2 [1] Show All

1. Madalene says:

Hi I Thomas,

This recipe is suitable for freezing.

Happy Cooking,
    Madalene

2. can someone tell me how long this will keep in the fridge?

3. Madalene says:

Hi Fenella,

The cordial will last about 2 weeks in the fridge.

Kind Regards
    Madalene

4. Stuart says:

fantastic recipe. quick and easy. great tasting juice. simples
    would agree about amount of cordial though, no where near 750ml

5. Darren says:

Just realised i did pop down to local pub for a couple whilst cooling, perhaps it reset as only got 350ml of cordial!!

6. Darren says:

FANTASTIC, my son and i enjoyed making very much and loving your website
    i am thinking, being a frugal and it took us a long time to destalk all blackcurrants, is there anything we could do with nice ‘jammy, left over fruit, i am thinking instant jam of course

7. Madalene says:

Perfect! You can use any soft fruit such as raspberries, strawberries, blaccurrants, red currants etc…The ratios of sugar to fruit remain the same.

8. Paul says:

Could you also use Blackberrys and Raspberrys as well, using the same portions of fruit?.

9. Di says:

Can you tell me how long will this keep please?

Hi Di,

The blackcurrant cordial will keep for up to 2 weeks in a sterilized bottle in the fridge.
    Alternatively freeze the cordial in ice cube trays and pop a few ice cubes into your water when needed, this will keep up to three months.

Regards

Maddy

10. James says:

Something I definitely need to make again. Used to make loads when we had currant bushes. One lady I cooked for last week brought her own blackcurrant cordial made from the blackcurrants on her allotment and made a kir royale. So much more flavour than creme de cassis.

Pages: « 4 3 2 [1] Show All